Benefits of a Prostate Cancer Support Group
Physical treatment for your Prostate Cancer is important but so is emotional support. The everyday challenges can be overwhelming and we encourage you to share your feelings, fears, hopes and joy with your family, friends, and others.
For Men – Prostate Cancer
Support groups demonstrate that you are not alone, and that others share similar experiences and concerns.
Participating in a support group can include the following benefits:
- Feeling less lonely, isolated or judged
- A clearer understanding of what to expect with your situation
- Gaining sense of empowerment and control
- Getting practical advice or information about treatment options
- Improved coping skills and adjustment
- Comparing notes about resources, such as doctors and alternative options
- An opportunity to talk openly and honestly about your feelings
- Learning about new medical research
- Reduction in distress, depression or anxiety
For Spouses and Partners
It is important spouses and partners learn about prostate cancer and its effects on their lives and relationships:
- So many men say that they could not have gotten through Prostate Cancer , its treatments and side-effects, without the love and support of wives or partners.
- Prostate Cancer is a “couples illness” in which the disease, as well as its treatments, affect relationships through out the diagnosis/treatment/survival journey.
- Advice, personal experiences, and empathy from others who have gone through the same journey can help as you advocate for your loved one.
- We can provide links to valuable resources designed specifically for wives, partners and family members of Prostate Cancer patients.
- Alternatively, we can arrange for one-on-one discussions with other women who have gone through similar experiences.